Monday, April 24, 2006

overheard at 'Varsity'

#1: You know, I've always really liked you. It's too bad before because you had a boyfriend.
#2: Um..., well, you gotta 'strike when the iron's hot' as the saying goes.
[pause, ready to begin again in 3, 2, 1...]
#2: I actually really like that saying, the iron. It has a really southern ring to it, not to mention it probably is related to cooking. Let me tell you, my mother (blah blah blah)...and grandmother.......(blah blah blah).....Kansas....favorite American idiomatic expression....(blah blah blah)
#1: Um....I have to go now.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Kansas? is this quote about whom I think it's about? . . .
I mean the Tin Man, of course . . . total poof, obv . . .
anyway, I love your narrator commentary.

bostonmed said...

The wise reader sees between the lines...

Master, to grasshopper

Kate said...

Ha, that's funny. I would've imagined him to have considerable more game.