Friday, September 29, 2006

We're supposed to be learning stuff in grad school?

I thought we just found great quote material. And I quote,

"Rana once bit Jerry very hard on the ear, after which he appeared downcast for some hours. Jerry was of the melancholy and lethargic persuasion of personality, and took some time to recover from what he perceived as insults to his well-being. Rana had no such complexes, and was quite happy most of the time especially when dangling upside-down."

-- Wolfgang Kohler, The Mentality of Apes (1927)

4 comments:

Kate said...

Andrew=Jerry
Rana=Phil

Molly said...

zzzzing! Kate gets some kinda trophy for that one

bostonmed said...

Hah!

I'd like to point out the ambiguous pronoun use in the first sentence, proving that I'm at least contemplative of grammatic insufficiencies.

Kate said...

I actually figured "he" referred to Rana--you might bite Andrew on the ear, but you'd be downcast afterwards.