open secret
The whole Mark Foley thing is spilling all over the news like MonicaGate all over again. Him coming out of the closet ain't gonna help either. Apparently, his voting record isn't that bad on gay rights, but whatever good he may have done as a member of Congress, his actions behind closed doors has done so much more damage. All we really need now is another gay man that the stupid public can identify as a pedophile, a drunkard, and victim of alleged child molestation by the clergy (presumably a gay priest) to make the case that all gay people are pedophiles, abused, and deeply disturbed. F ing great. I'd like to think that people are not this simple minded, but I'm afraid I'm terribly wrong in this respect. [And technically, the term pedophile is not apt in this instance because the page involved is 17, well within the age of consent for the district of columbia--not that this makes it any less creepy or the abuse of power any less sickeningly revolting] . Ugh.
1 comment:
It really is unfortunate, the pervasive linking of gayness with political catastrophe. At least McGreevy had a decent relationship for awhile, unlike this self-immolating weirdo.
I would also like to point out that very few of the wretched priests in our own parallel scandal dared to blame their actions on what someone else had done to them.
Post a Comment